Can dogs eat raisins

It seems a bit off that something healthy for humans can be fatal for our pets, but raisins are indeed very toxic for the dog, and in severe cases; they can even be fatal to their health. These dried grapes wreak havoc on the organs of your pet and destroy them, raisins can prompt vomiting, diarrhea, renal failure, and even death. The pet can’t know for himself that raisins are bad for him so the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the pet owner; it is the owners’ duty to keep the raisins and grapes out of the reach of the dogs. If your dog has eaten a raisin, you need to consider it as an emergency and take him to the vet as soon as possible. The dogs show symptoms after having this deadly fruit, so these symptoms must not be avoided or ignored. According to science, there is not a specified dosage of raisin that could be given to your pet. All dogs react differently to the ingestion of raisins, some show severe symptoms and some might be very tolerable to the intake of raisins. So, no matter your pet shows the symptoms or it does not, you must get him checked by the vet. All in all, it is very crucial to keep these deadly fruits away from your pet. 

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

The answer to this question is an easy NO. Raisins and grapes may appear like harmless and healthy fruit but for your dog, they are not. Raisins are known to be highly toxic and dangerous for dogs, the substance present inside the raisins can damage the kidney of your pet. The gender, age, and breed of the dog have nothing to do with the severity of the damage caused by raisins or the risk of being affected, hence, there is no safe amount for the dogs. Grapes and raisins can even be fatal for your pet; it could potentially lead to sudden renal failure in dogs. Every year several dogs die due to this. Grapes in all colors are toxic for the dogs, be it red, green, purple, seedless, or without seed. Do not make the mistake of giving your dog grapes or raisins or any product with it, make sure that your pet does not have access to it and that all your family members and visitors know that raisins are fatal to the health of your pet and should never be given to the dog. Even the products which are made of grapes and have raisins in them should not be given to the dogs, these include grape jam, jelly, corn syrup, even bagels with raisins. Grapes and raisins do not have any nutritional value for the dogs, the food with sweeteners can cause diabetes and obesity in dogs. So, raisins and grapes must be avoided at all costs. 

Why Raisins are Poisonous

Being said that raisins are mere poison for the sweet dogs, they can cause a threat to the health of your dog. The toxins like mycotoxin and salicylate are suspected to be present in the grapes and raisin, which makes it the raisins poisonous for the dogs. Dogs can get abdominal pain, hallucinations, and even seizures by eating raisins and grapes, the symptoms can last up to 24 to 48 hours. These dried fruits can cause indigestion problems in the dogs and even a very small amount can lead to toxicity to your dog. So, even the smallest amount should be given concern and caution. The kidney of a dog is very sensitive to the damage caused by mycotoxin. 

Clinical Symptoms of Raisin Toxicity

After eating these dried fruits, the dogs can get toxicity and show few symptoms of it. Within 12-24 hours of ingestion, the symptoms start to occur; these symptoms include sickness, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, weakness, lethargy, and diarrhea. In most severe cases, the intake of raisin can cause sudden kidney failure as well. By 48 hours the process of kidney failure has already begun, so the treatment must start early. Further, the signs of kidney failure include excessive urination, excessive thirst, vomiting, and lack of appetite, nausea, unstable breath, and abdominal pain. Once the poisoning process has begun, the dog will stop urinating; its blood pressure is going to increase and the dog will break into a coma. After the kidney has shut down the toxins cannot flush out in the form of urine and the dog has increased chances of dying. 

What to do if you think that your dog has had a raisin?

To prevent or minimize kidney damage, it is important to stop or avoid the absorption of the toxins present in the raisins. If you doubt that your dog has eaten any raisin, you must not wait for the symptoms to show but reach out for help from a vet. This way a proper treatment can be given to your dog to induce vomiting so that the toxins are not absorbed. However, you should not induce vomiting if the dog is having trouble breathing, is unconscious, or if you are not certain what he has eaten. It is best to avoid feeding raisins and grapes to the dogs. 

What do the vets do if your dog has eaten a raisin?

It is very important to take your dog to the vet at the very moment it has had a raisin. Only a vet can give the dog a proper treatment and medicine to eliminate the toxins from its body before they are absorbed. At the vet’s the treatment starts with cleansing, then activated charcoal is given to the dog to tackle the leftover raisins in the stomach, activated charcoal absorbs the toxins. Your dog may even need to be hospitalized for 24-48 hours so that the vet can run urine and blood tests on your dog to determine the functioning of his kidneys and finally give him some intravenous fluids. Following are the treatments used by the vets to save the dog’s life:

If the incident has happened just an hour ago

In this case, the vet would give an injection to the dog to induce vomit; this will empty the stomach of the dog and block the toxins from being absorbed in the bloodstream. Once the stomach of the dog is clean the threat to its life disappears. 

If the eating has happened a few days ago and the dog is still doing well

In this case, the vet takes blood and urine tests of the dog to monitor the functioning of the kidney. The vomit-inducing medicine may be given if needed; moreover, to minimize the damage activated charcoal may be given to the dog to clean the kidney fluids. If the dog is doing well for more than three days, then the risk period is certainly over. The dog is safe and sound.

If the dog has had raisin and is not doing well

Well, this is a matter of the most concern; the damage has already been done. If your dog has eaten a raisin consider it an emergency and take him to the vet immediately. The kidney by this time has been damaged by the toxins present in the raisins and the dog feels extremely unwell. However, the urine and blood tests are carried out by the vet to check the severity of the damage done to the kidneys. To save the life of the pet, high levels of intravenous fluids are injected into his bloodstream and the damage is minimized. But in most of the cases, the affected dogs die despite all the excellent efforts of the vet. 

What other common foods are toxic to dogs?

Besides raisins, certain other foods are as toxic to the dogs including chocolate, alcohol, garlic, onions, nuts, and other foods that contain sweeteners. All the mentioned food can be fatal to the health of your pet. 

Conclusion

No matter what, keep the raisins away from your dogs. If the dog eats them accidentally, do not wait for the symptoms to show rather take him to the vet immediately. Your vet is the only person who can save your pet, he is well aware of the safest course of action to be taken for your dog’s best health. Make sure you provide your vet with all relevant information and details i.e. weight of your dog, the number of raisins eaten, etc. If you ask what is the lowest amount of raising a dog can take then the answer is certainly not in black and white. Because at the time it is seen that even the lowest quantity has caused kidney failure in dogs. We can say that the moderate dosage depends somewhat on the weight of the animal’s body, but to avoid the renal failure of your pet you must keep him away from grapes or raisins. Further, never ignore the symptoms shown by the dog, if your dog has eaten something he should not have then do not hesitate to call your local vet right away.

Leave a Comment