Bread is something that most of us eat every day, plain or with something on it. We eat white, wheat, whole-grain bread but is it good for our cats? The answer is yes, cats can eat bread. It is not poisonous for our little furry friends and safe for them to eat. As with any human food we want to feed our cat, there is stuff that you need to consider before we give them bread. One thing to consider and keep in mind is that with all people’s food, it must be done in moderation and you must make sure that your cat is eating a balanced diet that is just for them.
Cats can digest bread with no problems. There is no strict rule for how much but it should not be their main meal. It should be treated as a special snack. One way that you can give it as a snack is to soak it in the tuna water that comes from regular tuna packed in water. Break the bread into small pieces and pour the tuna water over it, soaking the bread.
It is not food that is important to your cat’s diet. They need meat and protein also, which they can get from their regular wet and dry foods. Bread is almost all carbohydrates with a little protein that the cat can get from it. Just make sure that your cat is getting the right amount of protein and use bread as a treat.
- There are certain types of bread and ingredients that a cat should not eat. Three things that can be toxic to cats are onion, chives, and garlic so make sure that the bread you give your cat has none of these. The reason that they can be toxic is that these spices can kill the red blood cells in your cat that can cause a type of anemia that is rare in cats.
- A fruit that is not great for your cat either is raisins. Too many can put your cat in danger and they could cause a cat to have kidney failure.
- Sandwiches made with peanut butter and jelly
Bread dough that is raw
Bread dough that is raw has yeast in it to help it rise. The yeast may interact with the sugar that is in the stomach of your cat. This can result in alcohol poisoning. The raw dough could lead to your cat having seizures and even going into a coma. Their intestinal tract could be blocked with the raw dough, especially if the dough had not risen completely.
The inside of their stomach is moist and warm. If they eat the dough, there is a chance it could continue to expand inside their stomach. If this happens, their stomach may start to stretch and could result in them having surgery to get the raw dough out. If you know your cat has accidentally eaten some uncooked bread dough you should immediately take them to the vet, especially if they have eaten a lot of the dough because this situation could be serious.
Cats are meat eaters and most have lived a healthy life without knowing what bread is or what it tastes like. The only real benefit for cats eating bread is the fiber found in bread. It is good for their stomachs and helps aid with digestion. It can give them a healthy digestive system.
You should also read the label of the bread you are thinking about feeding your cat to make sure that there is nothing in the bread that can harm the cat.
The negative aspect of bread for cats
As mentioned, the fiber in bread is good for cats, in moderation, but the negative points for eating bread far outweigh the one pro.
- There is a lot of salt and sugar in bread, which are two things that you should avoid giving your cats.
- If they eat a lot of bread, it can cause them to be obese. There are carbohydrates in bread, which will turn to sugar when eaten. Over time the sugar will turn into fat, and make them obese.
- Bread has preservatives to keep it fresh and these are not something your cat should have.
- It does not have the vitamin Taurine. Cats cannot produce this vitamin, which is found in formulated cat food, and how they get this important vitamin. Since grains do not have this vitamin, cats cannot just eat grains. It a cause of the Taurine deficiency and this can cause a variety of problems with their health.
- Can lead to decay in their teeth
- Hair loss
- Cardiovascular problems
- Reproductive system complications, which can affect cats that are pregnant
Although many cats love bread crusts, it does contain yeast so again, like bread, only a small amount.
Bread and milk
Most cats are lactose intolerant so you need to be careful giving cats milk. If you want to give your cats milk, you can mix it with water. For example, half-cup water with a fourth cup of milk. You could break up a little bread and put some of the milk/water over it for a treat.
While some cats like toast, it is not advisable to give it to your kitten or give bread to them. Their digestive system is not ready for either like a grown cat.
Yes, cats can have bread but in moderation and it should only be used as a treat. The bread should be plain with nothing on it. Be careful that you make sure that there is nothing in the bread that is harmful to your cat. Many may like it soaked in tuna water or a milk/water combination. Never allow your cat to eat raw bread dough, and if you are making bread make sure your cat cannot get into the dough. \ Always make sure that your cat has a well-balanced diet specially formulated for a cat. This will have all the nutrients that your cat needs. Bread only gives them fiber, and nothing else nutritious.