You would have seen your hamsters jump up and down like popcorn when it’s happy. They do have some crazy moves but are only reserved when they are pleased which, led to the term popcorning. Creative much? It’s a real delight to watch these plump fluffy animals move around. They are the epitome of cuteness. These pig-like rodents are named, not because they are a species of the pig, but because they look like a pig also, their origin is not from Guinea.
They are from South America and, knowing their origin is pretty important so that you can feed them with the right thing if you are planning to keep them as your pet. We’ll give you more information on if your hamsters can eat parsley or not here. These domestic mammals are restricted to certain foods. You need to take care of what should reach their belly and what should not.
Is parsley good for them?
Unlike we humans, these odd feet cavy animals are very fond of green leafy vegetables. While for us, it is a real task to eat our greens, but for them, it is the only thing they like. Parsley which we use for food dressing is extremely good for hamsters. These herbivorous animals eat their greens just right. Parsley is loaded with nutrients that make them the best food for your pet.
Moreover, they prefer Italian parsley. If you think you’re the only one who likes Italian dishes, you’re so wrong. These pigs do have taste buds for Italian as well. That doesn’t mean you can share your pizza and pasta with your pet! Your cavy friend eats only the Italian parsley.
While parsley is perfectly good and healthy for hamsters, you should keep in mind to not feed it more. It is good when fed at moderate levels though it is packed with nutrients.
What can they eat other than parsley?
Parsley is just one of the many green vegetables available. Along with that, you can feed these pigs with spinach, broccoli, and kale. They also eat fruits like apples and papaya, but since fruits are sugary, it needs to be consumed in a limited manner. These animals are very delicate and should be taken care of a lot. They consume carrots, cucumber, and cabbage
They should not be fed with eatables that do not have a good effect on their stomach. You must not feed them with nuts, seeds, and other foods that are rich in carbohydrates and fats. Carbs are bad for their body. They are very sensitive when it comes to foods with more carbohydrates so, you should not feed them dairy products at all. Maybe you could make a list of things that they can eat and which is good so that you can keep them healthy. Though they need vitamin C, it should be given in small portions maybe twice a week. Hay is a constant food that they love to munch on.
What are the health benefits and risks involved when feeding parsley?
There are a lot of health benefits for the pigs: they can digest it well and helps in good metabolism. Parsley is rich in vitamin A and other antioxidants that ensure your pet is fit and fine and away from any diseases. Since parsley has fewer amounts of calories, these cute plumpy animals don’t get more plumper which is a good thing and keeps them more healthy. With vitamin C and K present in parsley, it helps in preventing diseases that otherwise cause due to the deficiency of both like scurvy. It has most of the nutrients in equal amounts which makes it a great snack for your pet.
There are other risks involved with more intake of parsley as well, like kidney stones and urinary infections. Though parsley is very good, it can cause such infections if you feed it too much every day. It can be avoided completely if you don’t give too much of it any day.
Few facts on hamsters
- hamsters like to hide as they are shy animals. So, if you happen not to see your pet moving around, that means it has hidden in someplace. You might even get back your childhood memories of hide-and-seek with this pet.
- Though they are shy, they are the friendliest animals who love to cuddle with you. They need affection and attention more than any other pet. You treat them right and, they are all yours.
- They have three toes on the back feet and four on their front feet. Yes, they have an odd number of toes, unlike other animals.
- Their life expectancy is ten years and, the pups start walking as soon as they are born. They have a pig in their name due to their body shaped like a pig and also their noises that are similar to that of a pig.
- They follow a vegan diet! Yes, they are highly dependent on green veggies and fruits that are rich in vitamins and nutrients as they are herbivores.
- Lastly, they are a species of rodents and not pigs. While males are called boars, female pigs are called sows.
- hamsters ‘ teeth continuously grow so to avoid any serious dental problems; they chew a lot and, that is why they need a lot of roughage.
hamsters are one of the sweetest and loveliest pets ever. You can surely keep them as your pet and have the most fun. Since they eat a lot of leafy vegetables, you need to hoard your pantry with many fruits and vegetables. Parsley is also good healthy food for your pet rich in all the essential nutrients, but, they have to be fed in limited amounts too. Nothing should be given more to your pet.
hamsters are not that difficult to be taken care of, and you will love to see them popcorning most of the time, which will make you get on the dance floor with them as well.